DO YOU NEED TO CLEAN UP YOUR BEAUTY ROUTINE?
Having a clean beauty routine that supports your whole body and beauty is something we all want. This is such an important topic, the toxins and chemicals that are in your beauty products, toothpaste, deodorants, shampoos and perfumes could be the cause of many of your ailments. The long list of words we can’t pronounce is scary and it’s really worth taking a look at your products and tossing them out now if you find any of the below listed ingredients! If you’re a mama who is pregnant, nursing or thinking of getting pregnant, toss them right now! Here are the top 22 most dangerous ones you really want to steer clear of:
1. BHA and BHT
2. Coal tar dyes: p-phenylenediamine and colours listed as “CI” followed by a five digit number
4. Dibutyl phthalate
5. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives
7. Parfum (a.k.a. fragrance)
8. PEG compounds
11. Sodium laureth sulfate
14. Mineral oil
16. Paraphenylenediamine (PPD)
18. Placental extract: Used in some skin and hair products, but linked to endocrine disruption.
19. Silicone-derived emollientsSodium lauryl (ether) sulfate (SLS, SLES)
These toxins and harmful chemicals can not only cause weight gain, hormone disorders, sleep issues, immune system problems, but can also lead to life threatening diseases such as cancer. If I could go back to my 13-year-old self and have her stop one thing, it would be deodorant.
I went through a traditional beauty school and got my cosmetology licence when I was 23. We learned all about skin and the “right” products to use to keep our skin glowing and young. There for a little while I was using all these traditional bottled products hoping for a change in my skin. Finally, after taking my health back into my own hands I began to research the ingredient of the things I was putting on my face and feeding into my pores everyday. It was shocking! Filled with chemicals, fillers, minerals that aren’t healthy (talc) parabens (a preservative that effect your hormonal balance) sulfates (harsh detergents that irritate your skin) and dyes. It was really surprised and let down.
WHAT I USE + DO
- Extra virgin cold-pressed coconut oil is great for the skin. I love how my skin looks when I use this. I use it for a makeup remover. This can also be used as a hair treatment (put on, leave on for 20 or over night for a complete repair)
- In the morning I cleanse with baking soda and if my skin is feeling extra oily I use a little apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a toner.
- For a mask that is anti bacterial and also helps refine pores I use wild honey. I literally just put in on my face and leave it for about 20 min. My skin feels clean and I can see the smoothness and quality improving. When I want something more potent, I use Tata Harper.
- I use Bee Yummy Skin Food throughout the day to add moisture
- When I want to splurge I use Moonlight Catalyst from Krpris
- I use Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum after I wash every morning.
- I love Dr. Hauschka Rose Cream and use it morning and night
- For my hair I use Rahua shampoo and conditioner
- For Toothpaste I use EarthPaste. The best and the only!
- For nail polish I use Scotch Naturals
- For deodorant I use Poetic Pits
- For perfume, I use essential oils and once in a while a spray of Le Labo
- For makeup I like Josie Moran and Mineral Fusion
- I love Honest for the little ones!
I know a lot of these products are more than the drugstore options. But what it comes down to is your health, your energy and the health of your family. You may save money in the moment, but not long-term. Invest in your longevity and future self.
THE BEST BEAUTY PRODUCT
A clean diet, lost of water, lots of hydrating foods, green juice and a good sweat everyday!
Bottom Line. Read the what’s in your products. If you wouldn’t eat it or can’t read it, don’t put it on your skin. Your skin is your largest organ and is very delicate. Take care of it. <3